Frequently asked questions (2024)

  • Is there an application fee?

    Effective August 3, 2023, all fees for Wayne State University applications administered through the Graduate School are eliminated for all academic terms beginning with the winter 2024 semester. Please note this does not apply to Wayne State University programs administered outside the Graduate School such as J.D., M.D., and Pharm.D. programs. Refunds are not issued for any fees paid before August 3, 2023.

  • I haven't graduated with my bachelor's yet. Do I have to wait until my degree is posted to apply to graduate school?

    No.Simply have your institution submit a transcript containing the most current record to support your application. Once your degree is posted, you must have an official final transcript with degree statement sent to Wayne State.

    You should not apply for a graduate school term thatbegins before you expect to receive your bachelor's degree. You will be required to provide proof of your bachelor's degree during your first term of graduate enrollment. Failure to do so could result in discontinuation of enrollment.

  • Can I upload unofficial (my personal copy) transcripts to my application?

    To expedite the processing, review, and decision of your graduate application, you may upload unofficial (personal copy) transcripts to your application. If admitted, you must request to have official transcripts sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions for each institution. Official transcripts can be sent electronically via email to Our school code is 1898. If your sending institution is not able to send an official transcript electronically, it can be mailed to:

    Wayne State University
    Office of Graduate Admissions
    5057 Woodward Ave., Suite 6000
    Detroit, MI 48202

  • I have an open application but would like to defer it for a different semester. Is that possible?

    Because applications are specific to the initial program and term selected, you must submit a new application reflecting the program and term for which you currently would like to be considered. Any previously submitted documents will be transferred to your new application.

  • I want to apply for financial aid, scholarships or a graduate teaching/research assistantship. Should I send my application to the Office of Graduate Admissions?

    No. Any applications for support should be submitted to the program to which you are applyingor, if indicated, the department listed on the form. Submitting these requests to the Office of Graduate Admissions can cause a costly delay.

  • I submitted an application. How do I log in to check my status or add documents to my application?

    Your onlineapplication statuspage will display where you are in the application process.On this page, you may submit required documents, answer questions, and view the information you need to know about your application and admission decision.

  • I was admitted to a program, but I’m unable to attend. May I defer my admission?

    Students may be granted deferred admission for up to one year following the original term of application. Students seeking deferred admission must contact their department chair or graduate program director and make a request to defer the admission for either one term or one year. Students may only request a deferral for the same program to which they originally applied.

    If granted, the admission deferral is valid for up to 12 months. Students seeking deferred admission must reapply for any scholarships, financial aid, graduate assistantships, or other opportunities that were offered for the original admission.

    Consideration of deferral beyond one year requires submission of a new application, application fee, and required documentation.

  • Do I need to submit anything other than the application and transcripts?

    Many departments have additional requirements beyond those of the Office of Graduate Admissions, such as GRE, letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.These requirements will be listed on the graduate application for admission. You can submit any required materials through that application.

  • How can I find my access ID and six-digit student ID?

    Both your access ID and student ID can be found near the top of your application status page, above and to the right of your name.

  • What types of transcripts are official?

    Official transcripts are those issued directly by your previous institution. They usually include a school imprint, seal, or original signature and stamp of the registrar or senior school official.Electronic transcripts will be accepted if they are delivered securely from the registrar of the issuing institution directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

    Transcripts cannot be transmitted via the applicant. They must be sent by the institution to Wayne State University and cannot read "issued to student."

  • I only took one course from a community college and it shows up on my university transcript. Can I just have my university transcript sent to Wayne State?

    Although the university requires only the bachelor's degree transcript for an admission decision, some academic programs require transcripts from all postsecondary schools you haveattended. Be sure to check with your academic program if you have any questions regarding requirements.

  • Do I need to submit my application again after opening it?

    The Office of Graduate Admissions will make your application available to the program for review after it has satisfied the minimum university requirements; you are not required to formally indicate your application is complete.As such, there is no "submit" button.

  • How do I know when my application is complete?

    Your application is considered complete once you have submitted all documents to satisfyboth theuniversity's minimum requirements and your program's specific requirements. Information about our program'srequirements can be foundonthe program's website. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure the required materials are uploaded before the deadline.

  • When will I know the admission decision on my application/what are my chances of being admitted?

    Many factors are involved in the admission decision process. The different colleges at Wayne State University work hard to make sure they both give applicants a fair chance at admittanceand admit those who are well-suited to each program. After making sure your application is complete, you cancontactyourprogramof interestfor information about their decision process.Because the admission process requires time and care, we thank you for being patient while waiting for a decision.

  • How do I make sure my documents get attached to my application?

    You can upload the required materials directly to your application via your application status page. This page can be accessed by visiting and logging in with the credentials provided to you when you first applied. You are not required to mail the Office of Graduate Admissions any of your documents unless specifically requested to do so.

    Please note, the process of receiving, processing and uploading mailed documents takes time. When your documents are received and processed, you will automatically receive an email notification that documents have been uploaded to your application. Document processing times range from two to seven business days.

  • Can I make an appointment to speak with an advisor?

    The best way to contact us is by email However, if you wish to speak with someone in person,you may call the Office of Graduate Admissions at 313-577-4723. You may also visit our officeduringour regular business hours; no appointment is necessary.A staff memberwill be available to assist you with any generalinquiries regarding the application process.

    Please note, you will need to contactyour program of interestto make an appointment with their advising staff if you have questions related toprogram-specific admissionsrequirements, deadlinesor thedecision process.

  • What code should I use to send my official transcripts, English proficiency test results, GRE or GMAT scores?


  • How do I reapply?

    Submit a new application for the term and program of your choice. If your first application is less than 1 year old, we will use any official documents you submitted with that application to process your new application. If you reapply to a new program, there may be additional admission requirements to fulfill.

  • Frequently asked questions (2024)


    Top Articles
    Latest Posts
    Article information

    Author: Frankie Dare

    Last Updated:

    Views: 6222

    Rating: 4.2 / 5 (73 voted)

    Reviews: 88% of readers found this page helpful

    Author information

    Name: Frankie Dare

    Birthday: 2000-01-27

    Address: Suite 313 45115 Caridad Freeway, Port Barabaraville, MS 66713

    Phone: +3769542039359

    Job: Sales Manager

    Hobby: Baton twirling, Stand-up comedy, Leather crafting, Rugby, tabletop games, Jigsaw puzzles, Air sports

    Introduction: My name is Frankie Dare, I am a funny, beautiful, proud, fair, pleasant, cheerful, enthusiastic person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.